Solarpunks cherish both nature and progress, the individual and the community.
We're destroying the world because we are, in a very literal and deliberate way, at war with it. People need more than to be made to feel stupid and guilty. They need more than a vision of doom. They need a vision of the world and of themselves that inspires them.
There is nothing new, everything has been done, all philosophic and social theoretical issues have been addressed, and all that is left is to recycle, recombine, and play with these in new ways.
Solarpunks demand for technology and society to re-centre around sustainability, longevity, and balance with an emphasis on renewable energy. A focus on decentralisation, community activism, social justice and civic empowerment. A recognition that economic, social, and ecological injustices are all deeply inter-connected.
The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilisation.
—Ralph Waldo Emerson
We will face this reality honestly and learn how to live with it. We realize that the current and upcoming crises cannot be reduced to a set of problems in need of technological or political solutions. We believe that the roots of the current and upcoming crises lie in the stories we have been telling ourselves. Humans are not the point and purpose of the planet.
Anarchism is a social movement that seeks liberation from oppressive systems of control including but not limited to the state, capitalism, racism, sexism, ableism, speciesism, and religion.
Anarchists advocate a self-managed, classless, stateless society without borders, bosses, or rulers where everyone takes collective responsibility for the health and prosperity of themselves and the environment.
For anarchists, anarchy means not necessarily absence of order but an absence of rule. Anarchists wish to create a society based upon individual freedom and voluntary cooperation.
To be free is to allow each one to live their lives in their own way as long as each allows all to do the same. Anarchists fight for a society which respects individuals and their freedom, and believe in peace at any price — except at the price of liberty.
Harmony in such a society is obtained, not by submission to law, or by obedience to any authority, but by free agreements concluded between the various groups, territorial and professional, freely constituted for the sake of production and consumption, as also for the satisfaction of the infinite variety of needs and aspirations of a civilized being.
Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others.
The individual cannot bargain with the State. The State recognizes no coinage but power: and it issues the coins itself.
Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed
- Anarchy: A word that comes from the Greek, and signifying "without government", the state of a people without any constituted authority.
- Health: A state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.
- Dark Greens: The ones who believe that environmental problems are an inherent part of industrialized civilization, and seek radical political change.
- Light Greens: The ones who see protecting the environment first and foremost as a personal responsibility, focusing on environmentalism as a lifestyle choice.
- Veganism: A philosophy and way of living which seeks to prevent all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, other animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.
- Ecofeminism: Ecofeminist thinkers draw on the concept of gender to theorize on the relationship between humans and the natural world.
freedom is better than subordination. It's better to be free than to be a slave. Its' better to be able to make your own decisions than to have someone else make decisions and force you to observe them. I mean, I don't think you really need an argument for that.
Collapse now and avoid the rush
The myth of progress tells us that we are destined for greatness, that we began grunting in the primeval swamps, as a humble part of something called 'nature', which we have now triumphantly subdued.
During the Great Forgetting, it came to be understood among the people of our culture that life in the wild was governed by a single, cruel law known as "kill or be killed." In recent decades, by the process of looking(instead of merely assuming), ethologists have discovered that this law is a fiction. In fact, a system of laws, universally observed, preserves the tranquility of the wild, protects species and even individuals, and promotes the well-being of the community as a whole.
This system of laws has been called, among other things, the peacekeeping law, the law of limited competition, and animal ethics.
- Low Tech
- CE Manifesto
- Deep Resource
- Design Lifecycle
- Open Structures
- What Can A Technologist
- No Tech
- Open Source Ecology
- Low Tech Lab
- Space Buckets
- Moss Electricity
- Solar Protocol
Green wizards are defined as individuals who are willing to take on the responsibility to learn, practice and thoroughly master a set of unpopular but valuable skills – the skills of the old appropriate technology movement – and share them with their neighbours when the day comes that neighbours are willing to learn.
- Strong Longtermism: The primary determinant of the value of our actions is the effects of those actions on the very long-run future.
- The Hinge of History Hypothesis: The hypothese that we are living at the most influential time ever.
- Carbon Capture: A technological negative emissions solution that aims to remove carbon from the air, storing it as inert material. Small units exist at high cost, and it remains unclear whether large scale deployment is possible or desirable.
- Carbon Budget: An attempt to provide the world with a means of tracking emissions with goals set based on projected temperature rise. Most models are not believed to accurately account for feedback loops.
- Solar Radiation Management: Methods of reducing global temperature by increasing albedo, frequently discussed methods include stratospheric sulphur injection and marine cloud brightening.
- Scientific Reticence: A phenomenon where scientists failed to emphasize many the more dramatic results of the study of global warming over concerns of reception.
- Coppicing: A method of harvesting wood without killing trees, which exploits the capacity of many species of trees to grown new shoots from their stump or roots if cut down.
Expect the end of the world. Laugh.
The marvelous pursuit is an attempt to find paths out of alienation, by refusing to conceive of human action as divisible into the physical and the mental.
The marvelous pursuit is born from the desire to create playful complexity in a desert of simplistic convenience. A hobby is a form of consumption, the marvelous pursuit on the other hand, is a rejection of commodified convenience, it can't be bought because it has no price. A marvelous pursuit refuses socially ascribed use. People learn such socially useless things as the names of fern and the grammar of dead languages because they are bored with the mind-dumbing options dished out to them on TV.
Marvelous pursuits are a means to resist alienation from one's environment because they are a temporary means to make that environment one's own, by ascribing one's own, often bizarre, value for things and spaces. The marvelous pursuit often creates complexity but a complexity which is opposed to that of the technician. The master of a marvelous pursuit can never be an engineer because the marvelous is by nature useless to society (and therefore to capital).
The value in marvelous pursuits lies in their self-creation which evades both use-value and exchange value.
A way of living which seeks to prevent all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, other animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.
Specisism is discrimination on the basis of species, oppression and judgment of an animal on the basis of that animal's species or that animal's non-membership in a species. The belief in human superiority over other animals or certain nonhuman animals' superiority over others.
Animal Rights is the position that the interests of nonhuman animals, including their interest in not suffering, should be afforded the same consideration as the interests of humans and that nonhuman animals have rights and inherent value independent of their us.
- Animal Liberation Front: An international, leaderless resistance that engages in removing animals from laboratories and farms, destroying facilities, arranging safe houses and veterinary care, and operating sanctuaries where the animals subsequently live.
- Animal Advocacy: Promotion of the interests of animals, generally. Includes work for animal rights and animal welfare.
- Commodification: The conversion of a living being, principle, or natural environment into an "object" that is used, exchanged, or consumed for profit or other desired gain.
- Debarking: The surgical removal and manipulation of tissue in a dog's vocal cords to drastically quiet his or her natural bark. Debarking does not address the underlying reasons that a dog may be barking excessively, and the dog will continue to bark, albeit more quietly or silently.
- Draize Test: Infamous and excruciating eye-irritation test for household products and cosmetics in which drops of a substance are placed in the eyes of rabbits, causing the animals ulcers, blindness, and other injuries before they are ultimately killed.
- Flowerpot Technique: A technique used in sleep deprivation studies designed to allow NREM sleep but prevent REM sleep.
- Forced Molting: The egg-industry practice of artificially inducing hens to molt by depriving them of food for several days to two weeks when their egg production has declined.
- Rape Rack: The industry term referring to the contraptions in which cows and pigs are restrained while they are forcibly inseminated.
- Veal Crate: Small crate in which a calf being raised for veal is confined and tied up. The calf's movement within the crate is intentionally restricted to limit the strengthening of muscle, and an insufficient diet is provided intentionally to keep the cow anemic.
Last update on 14U05, edited 7 times. +26/38fh